MLA 2012 Convention Sessions
Thursday, January 5
Cash Bar: Women’s Caucus for the Modern Languages, Women in French, Women in German, and Feministas Unidas
8:45-10:00 p.m., Redwood, Sheraton
Saturday, January 7
486. Visual Culture
12:00 noon-1:15 p.m., Redwood A and B, Sheraton
Program arranged by the Women’s Caucus for the Modern Languages
Presiding: Inmaculada Pertusa, Western Kentucky Univ.
1. “From Writing to Painting: Caterina Albert and Mercè Rodoreda,” Kathleen McNerney, West Virginia Univ., Morgantown
2. “Alissa Torres’s Graphic Tale of Grief: American Widow; or, My Husband Bleeds History,” Janis Breckenridge, Whitman Coll.
3. “The Anxiety of Density in Graphic Novels: Solutions Based on Generic Conventions and Creative Collaborations,” Maria Elsy Cardona, Saint Louis Univ.
4. “Helen Zout’s ‘Desapariciones:’ Shooting Death,” David William Foster, Arizona State Univ
Sunday, January 8
685. Staging a Woman’s Life in Academia
10:15‑11:30 a.m., 620, Washington State Convention Center
Program arranged by the Discussion Group on Age Studies and the Women’s Caucus for the Modern Languages
Presiding: E. Ann Kaplan, Stony Brook Univ., State Univ. of New York
1. “Marking Time‑to‑Degree: Age Talk and the Grad‑School Decade,” Heather Steffen, Carnegie Mellon Univ.
2. “The Good‑Enough Academic Mother at Mid‑Career,” Devoney Looser, Univ. of Missouri, Columbia
3. “The R (Retirement) Word and the D (Death) Word for Women of a Certain Age,” Nan Bauer‑Maglin, Graduate Center, City Univ. of New York